Submit your 2013 Spirit of FOI Award nominations
Monday, April 8, is the deadline for electronic submission of entries for the 2013 Nancy Monson Spirit of FOI Award, which this year for the first time will recognize work in three divisions.
Sponsored by the Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas and the Texas Press Association and named after FOIFT’s former executive director, the award recognizes journalists and/or newspapers for outstanding efforts that uphold First Amendment principles, increase public access to government and improve awareness of state open government statutes.
FOIFT is one of the leading education and advocacy non-profit organizations in the country, working for open government and access to public information for more than 30 years.
Spirit of FOI Award nominations for calendar year 2012 can be a single news story or series, an editorial or series of editorials, columns, editorial cartoons or a community FOI project.
Entries will be judged in the following size classifications, and up to three entries will be recognized:
- A – Daily and non-daily newspapers, circulation up to 9,999
- AA – Daily newspapers, Sunday circulation 10,000-99,999
- AAA – Daily Newspapers, Sunday circulation 100,000 and up
All entries must be submitted electronically and include the following:
- a letter, headed with the name of the person or organization nominated and the classification entered, explaining the effort being cited,
- PDFs of pages containing the coverage being entered,
- and letters or additional support documents.
Click here for more details on entry requirements.
Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line FOI AWARD ENTRY: [NEWSPAPER NAME]
Entries must be received by midnight, Monday, April 8.
Winners will be announced at the Texas Press Association Summer Convention, June 20-22, in Houston.
For information, email email@example.com.